Oats prices finished the month of May largely flat. Ongoing weather concerns across the United States and Canada have left traders in a wait-and-see pattern after the American Memorial Day weekend. Let’s take a look at oats prices at the Chicago Board of Trade and where they headed over the last 31 days.
- May 2018: +0.2% or 0.5¢ to $2.255 USD / bushel
- July 2018: +0.9% or 2¢ to $2.358 USD / bushel
- Dec 2018: unchanged at $2.508 USD / bushel
- Mar 2019: unchanged at $2.568 USD / bushel
During a relatively quiet month, we provided a wealth of reactions to day-to-day oats prices movement. This month, we turned our attention to:
- The USDA-forecasted size of the 2018/19 oats crop;
- Oats inventories in Canada;
- What it’s going to take to get Canadian oats to China; and
- And the impact of the failed Farm Bill on North American farmers.
Be sure to sign up for a free 3-week trial at GrainCents as this month could be the most impactful for how and when you price your oats for the rest of 2017/18 old crop supply, as well as a significant portion of your 2018/19 new crop production.