Peas prices over May did fluctuate a bit but ended the month basically where it began.
More specific specifically, old crop green peas prices are currently sitting around $8.50 CAD per bushel, although we did see some trades on the FarmLead Marketplace for $9.25 – $9.40.
For yellow peas prices, $7 CAD per bushel seemed to be consistently the bid seen at elevators across the Canadian Prairies. In the US Northern Plains, yellow peas prices ranged from $5.75 to $7 USD per bushel with trades happening on the FarmLead Marketplace across this range.
On the Canadian movement front, peas is the only pulse crop that is experiencing decent activity, thanks to strong farmer deliveries and Chinese buyers filling in for India’s absence.
What other factors have we been covering or have impacted peas prices?
- The bearish news that India has introduced an import quota for pulses;
- Whether or not China is the new India when it comes to peas imports;
- The growth of Russian peas production;
- The potential size of the 2018/19 US peas crop;
- The rise of peas protein as a vegetable based protein supplement; and
- Ethiopia’s record peas production of 1 MMT in the last 3 years
And of course, we reported on the dry weather conditions across Western Canada.
Be sure to sign up for your free 3-week trial at GrainCents as this month could be the most impactful for how and when you price your peas for the rest of 2017/18 old crop, as well as a significant portion of your 2018/19 new crop production.